-Our Town-

The  Municipality of Cainta is a first- class urban municipality in the Province of Rizal, Philippines. It is one of the oldest  ( originally founded in August 15,1571 ) and is the town with the second smallest land area of 26.81km2. next to Angono with  26.22 km2.

– Cainta serves as the secondary gateway to the rest of Rizal province from Metro Manila.

– Cainta became one of the most urbanized towns due to its proximity to Manila.

With a population of 311,845 inhabitants,  Cainta is the second most populous  municipality  in the Philippines, per the 2010  Census of Population  conducted   by the National Statistics Office.

Tag names:

> One Cainta

> Philippines Richest Town

> Bibingka Capital of the Philippines

> Your Gateway to the East

> IT Capital of the Province of Rizal

MODERN DAY FACTS ABOUT CAINTA

AGGRESSIVE GROWTH!!!

Cainta displayed a much more aggressive population growth than that of the whole province of Rizal which exhibited an average increase of 6.1 percent per year during the 70’s and 5.8 percent per year during the 80’s. The national average was 2.9 percent from the 1970’s to 1980 and 2.3 from 1980 to 1990.

In terms of population, by the year 2000, Rizal Shared 14.48 percent to the 11.8 million population of the region and ranked fourth in terms of population size among the 11 provinces and one highly urbanized city. Among the 13 municipalities, Antipolo City was the biggest in terms of population size of 27.58 percent of the total provincial population, Cainta with 14.20 percent followed with Taytay 11.61 percent, respectively. By the year 2010,Cainta increase its average to 2.55, the high population growth of Cainta is attributed to the fact  the municipality has served as an important overspill area of the population of Metro Manila. With its proximity to the urban employment hubs of Metro Manila, Cainta has become a strategic residential place for average income families working in the metropolis.

LANDMARKS

The restored Church of Cainta blessed on February 25, 1968. Our Lady of Light Parish-   standing firmly as one of the most beautiful and oldest churches in the province, it is erected upon the directives of Fr.Gaspar Marco, S.J in 1707 and was finished by Fr. Joaquin Sanchez in 1715. Upon its elevation into a Parish in 1760, this church is renovated many times because of heavy rains and eathquakes. In 1889, this church was destroyed during the Filipino-American war leaving only the adobe wall surviving a mural depicting the patroness of the town, painted by national artist Fernando Amorsolo, has placed the image ravage during the war. This image is cuurently placed on the left side portion of the church’s main altar.

o1

On 1966, a reconstruction of the church emerged upon the initiative of Cardinal Rufino Jiao Santos. It was solemnly blessed on February 25, 1968. On December 1, 2007, during the official town fiesta, a Historical Marker was installed by the National Historical Institute  on its  façade,coinciding with the celebration of the third centenary of the construction of church

MALLS & RECREATION

Sta. Lucia East Grandmall

The premier mall of Cainta, hence, the whole province as well. This mall provides easy shopping galore with exquisite fun through its technologies amenities.

Robinson’s Place Cainta –   Located at the heart of Junction.

o2

SM Hypermart – at Felix Avenue San Isidro    Puregold Supermarket – at Cainta Junction.

CAINTA MAYOR’S OFFICE

 This was luxuriously themed to make constituents feel the luxury and comfort that Cainta can give as they enter the municipality’s seat of power that focuses on true administrative servant hood, speedy public service and no-nonsense governance for the blessed people of Cainta.

03

THE CAINTA MUNICIPAL HALL & MUNICIPAL GROUNDS

o4

ONE ARENA SPORTS CENTER

It is the former JAICA Gym, newly renovated basketball stadium and an olympic size swimming pool located at Hunters ROTC.

o5

o6o7

CAINTA PEOPLE’S CENTER

 People’s auditorium located inside the municipal ground in front of the Cainta Municipal Hall.

o8

o9

CAINTA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AUDITORIUM

One of the crown jewel of the Nieto administration. This Auditorium is comparable to other upscale event venues of big private schools. No other public elementary school has this kind.

o1a

HUNTERS ROTC MONUMENT

Located at Brgy. San Juan, this place is a  memorial for those who bravely faced the  Occupation Authorities during the World War II.

Hunters ROTC Monument

Valley Golf and Country Club

One of the well-known golf courses in the province of Rizal aside from Eastridge in Binangonan. Valley Golf boasts of a great golf course on a sprawling and winding terrain with a great view.

o1ba

Liwasang Bayan (Town Plaza)

Is located at the Poblacion (town proper). It was the former site of the Old Municipal Hall destroyed by fire in 1995. The plaza is now home of many activities from Cultural, Physical and Social activities serving as the age old town center or commonly known as Poblacion.

o1c

Cainta Public Cemetery & Garden Of Peace Cemetery

The Cainta Public Cemetery is a newly located public cemetery situated at Ortigas Avenue Ext. Barangay San Juan near Valley Golf Subdivision, It has expanded its services through converting the allotted building for the columbarium to a mortuary chapel to accommodate the wake of the constituents that does not have spaces in their home. Another expansion is the construction of the slots of bone crypts of the so called ossuary.

o1ca

INFRASTRUCTURE AND UTILITIES

Road and Transportation System

Road Network

The main road of Cainta is Ortigas Avenue Extension, a heavily congested corridor that passes through the business district of Ortigas Center and leads to Mandaluyong City and  San Juan in the west and the town of Taytay and Antipolo City in the east. Another major road is Imelda Avenue  which  runs  across   Ortigas  Avenue  Extension and connects the town to Marikina City to the  north  and  Taytay to the  south.  The point of intersection between this  two  main arterials is known as simply as Junction. A.Bonifacio Avenue, located in the town proper, is the town’s most frequently traversed street.

At the current time, Cainta is under the management of the MMDA, which pertains to the traffic situations, particularly in the junction area.

Public works

Cainta continues to strive for growth and advancement. A.Bonifacio  Avenue, being  Cainta’s busiest corridor has undergone road widening.The span of expansion is from Junction area up to  the Cainta Catholic Church.

This would result to a low – lane accommodation for traffic flow and provide necessary loading and unloading station throughout the municipal road.

Vast infrastructure improvements are evident along the municipality. With the help of the  national  government and local and provincial  authorities, Cainta’s major thoroughfares are being upgraded to serve the growing number of motorist passing across the town; upgrade is evident along Ortigas Avenue Extension, Imelda Avenue and A.Bonifacio  Avenue.

Transportation

Public utility comprised of jeepneys, buses, taxi cabs, tricycle, pedicabs, FX , other Rent-A-Car services. There is only one bus company servicing Cainta- G Liner Bus Company. It has one terminal at Robles Subdivision in A. Bonifacio. The G-Liner traverse Cainta, Pasig, Sta Mesa, San Juan and Manila proper. In the Cainta end, the bus Ortiga’s Avenue and A. Bonifacio and  then back again going to Manila. In Manila, it passes to Manila City Hall, Quiapo, and Recto Ave.,going back to Cainta via San Juan

Jeepney routes are along F.Felix, A.Bonifacio (for Cubao and Taytay ) and along Ortiga’s, Jeepneys are the most common form of transportation within the municipality because of it’s convenience and low fare against other forms of transport. There are designated loading and unloading areas in Junction, Valley Golf, Brookside, Park Place and Imelda Ave. There are also more in Cainta Town Proper and Felix Ave.

Communications

Cainta is primarily served by the Philippine Long Distance  Telecommunications  Co. ( PLDT ),  Digital  Communications ( Digitel ) and Bayan Communications, Inc. (through its  Bayan wireless landline and broadband service ). Mobile carriers Smart, Globe, and Sun Cellular also cater Cainta’s mobile communication needs, Cainta is also covered on both GSM and 3G ( WCDMA ) technology of three largest telco in the country, providing excellent reach in mobile communication.

Innove  Communications.  Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Globe Telecom , has expanded its telecommunications and broadband services throughout the province including the Municipality of Cainta. It empowers with several options to get connected to the internet fast and reliable. This also includes the roll-out of WIMAX technology upgrading the link of the municipality to the  Cyberspace. Internet access is vast necessity across the town and Wi-Fi  is readily available through  Malls and internet cafes in Cainta.

Water

In the past decades Cainta had been suffering a lack of potable surface water supply, with only  deepwell  water source available. Today almost the entire municipality of Cainta supplied 24 hours a day with potable water from the Manila Water Company Inc., MWSS  concessionaire for  East Zone, along with several towns in Rizal Province.

Power

The National Power Corporation supplies the power needs of Cainta. Electricity distribution and other services are provided by the Manila Electric Company ( MERALCO ) to residential, commercial, industrial, and community users.

Power supply in Cainta comes from the hydroelectric plant in Angat, Bulacan. It is distributed by Meralco through its generating plants located within Metro Manila area namely: Rockwell, Sucat and Malaya No.1. These have a combined generating capacity of 1,200 megawatts. The Taytay substation and Dolores substation distribute power power directly to this municipality with a maximum power line voltage of 20 Kilo Volts.

Area distribution map for facilities shows area covered and amount/voltage of power distribution. The industries within Cainta exceed all other three users ( residential, commercial and street lights) combined. The least amount of electric consumption was attributed to the residential households which comprise76,647HH  (91.3%)  of the power consumers in the area.

Solid Waste Disposal

The natural phenomenon occurring almost everywhere in the world today triggers everyone’s paramount concern in safeguarding the environment and its neglect might cause mankind’s annihilation.

Cainta being a low laying town is one of the water basins of the province of Rizal thus prone to flooding and flash flood knowing this occurances and concurring to R.A. 9003, the municipality of Cainta through its Sangguniang Bayan created the Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office  with the coordination of the  Waste Management Office will address and implement remedial measures to address environment degradation and possible impacts of the changing environment phenomenon.

Garbage in Cainta is collected by 21 trucks once or twice a week operated by the municipal manpower consisting of 280 workers who are drivers, crew members or landfill workers. The regular collection of garbage from the barangays and residential areas in the municipality and appropriate disposal to the landfill (San Mateo Sanitary Landfill) has been monitored and evaluated.

CAINTA EARLY LEADERS

1.Presidente Municipales Exeqiuel Ampil

2. Alc. Baldomero Perez

3. Alc. Honesto Gonzaga

4. Alc. Gonsalo Naval

5. Alc. Atilano Sta. Ana

6. Alc. Pablo Javier

7. Alc. George Bassig

8. Alc. Emilio Cruz

9. Alc. Jesus Ampil

10. Alc. Julian Buenviaje

11. Alc. Odon Ambrosio (appointed by Japanese)

12. Alc. Dominador Cruz (successor of Odon)

1898-1903

1903

1903-1912

1912-1914

1914-1920

1920-1922

1922-1924

1925-1934

1935-1937

1937-1941

1941-1943

1943-1945

POST COMMONWEALTH LEADERS

13. Military Mayor F.P. Felix (appointed by President Osmena)

14. Mayor Sopronio Francisco (appointed by Pres. Roxas)

15. Acting Mayor Jose G. Sta Ana

16. Mayor Francisco P. Felix (elected)

17. Mayor Benjamin V. Felix (elected)

18. Mayor Renato Estanislao (appointed OIC)

19. Mayor Benjamin V. Felix (elected)

20. Centennial Mayor (succession) Zoilo V. Tolentino

1945

1945-1946

1947 *(SB)

1948-1980

1980-86

1986

1986-98

April-June 1998

MILLENIUM AGE MAYORS

21. Mayor Nicanor Felix (elected)

22. Mayor Ramon Ilagan (elected)

23. Mayor Johnielle Keith P. Nieto

1998-2004

2004-2013

July 1, 2013 – present

HOW DID CAINTA GOT ITS NAME

(Legend) Legend has it that there was an old woman called ”Jacinta” who was well known not only in her own native town but also in the neighboring towns. In her youth, she was popular because of her great beauty, kindness, and wealth. Although she was a member of a very rich clan, she showed generosity of heart to t0 he poor. Hence, she became very much loved respected. Jacinta grew to be an old maid because after her sweetheart got sick and died, she never fell in love with anyone else. When her parents died and she was left alone in the house, she continued her charity work. She gave alms to the long line of beggars who came to her , and housed and took care of the orphans and children in the street.

In her old age, she was still very popular and was fondly called “Ka Inta”(“Ka”referring to a term of respect for the elderly, as well as a term for the feeling of camaraderie or “kapwa” feeling for  someone).

One Christmas day, however, when the old and the young called on her to give their greetings, she was not by the window to welcome them. People wondered at her absence and shouted her name to call her attention but no one came to answer. Concerned, they went up the house and discovered the dead body of “Ka Inta”lying on the floor. Beside her were the plies of Christmas gifts she was preparing to give to her well-wishers that day. People far and wide grieved over her death. In memory of her goodness and her generosity, her native town was named after her and was called “Cainta”.

People

According to the 2010 census, it has a population of  311,845. Its population consists of 70% Catholic, 10% Protestant, 10% Atheist and 10% of various sects, including Iglesia ni Cristo, Muslim and others. The people of  Cainta are mostly Tagalog-speaking Filipinos.

A considering number of the population descended from Indian soldier who mutinied against the British Army when the British briefly occupied the Philippines in 1762 to 1763. These Indian soldiers called Sepoy settled in town and intermarried with native women. The Sepoy ancestry of Cainta is still very visible to this day, particularly in Barrio Dayap near Brgy. Sto Nino. Their unique physical characteristics make them distinct from the average Filipinos who are primarily of Malay and Chinese origins.

Culture

During Cainta’s modernization  period , traditions became more glamorous, most especially during the Lenten season. The most noteworthy rituals are the  Cenaculo (a stage play of the passion  and death of Christ ) and the Pagpapako or  Penetencia  ( a  re-enactment of the crucifixion of Christ)

The Cenakulo

The  Cenakulo in Cainta  dates back to 1904.  It originated from Barrio Dayap (the entire area includes Barangays Sta.Rosa, Sto. Nino and  Sto. Domingo). At that time, the population consisted of a small group of residents who were mostly related to each other. Since most of the people believed that calamities were brought  in by evil spirits, they decided to put up cross on a vacant lot to counter them. The barrio people paid homage to the cross by lighting it every night. One memorable incident happened during the Lenten season when a strange fragrance  supposedly  emanated from the cross. The news spread out not only in the barrio but also in the entire town of Cainta. Believing in the mystery of the cross, many people in Barrio Dayap and the whole  town of Cainta have since then vowed  to read  thePasyon( Seven Last Words Of  Christ ) every Lenten season.

This has been enriched by an actual portrayal oif the Passion of Christ on the streets  which was formerly called  “Officio”. Many problems  have been allegedly solved and illnesses cured through the cross as many people  continuously believed.

Over the years the followers of the cross have multiplied rapidly. To give deeper meaning to their devotion and showcase their religiosity, they broached the idea of staging the Pasyon. The first stage play was held a few years later, although initially it was limited in scope.

It became so popular  that the presentation was expanded to include stories from the  Old Testament and  other stages in the life of Christ and  has become known as the Cenakulo. The venue was transferred to an open field in 1966 to accommodate a larger audience. Samahang Nazareno Inc. was organized in 1960, developed and enhanced the various aspects of cenakulo. The local Roman Catholic parishioners gave the association its moral and financial support for it believed that it was an effective means of imparting its Christian message to the public.

Penetencia

On Good Friday, the town witnesses a yearly depiction of the station of the cross in the crucifixion of Christ.  A devotee, in hopes of being absolved from sin plays the role of Christ and voluntarily sacrifices himself to be flailed and whipped and be “nailed” on a cross, although most of the wounds are shallow and superficial.  This spectacle might seem barbaric to a foreigner, however it has been long-held tradition accepted by many of the inhabitants not only in Cainta, but of other parts of the country as well. This is held by 19 different groups at the Liwasang  Bayan  ( town plaza ) and in other parts of town.

Native delicacies

The most common livelihood in Cainta is the making of native delicacies, which is largely a cottage industry. Its native desserts are among the nation’s best. Dating back to the 15th century, it became the town’s principal source of income for more than  four centuries  Suman (rice cake wrapped in banana leaf), latik (boiled down coconut milk used for glazing), coconut jam and the famous bibingka, are few of the sweet delights that lure many visitors to this town.

During the 20th century, cainta dazzled the whole country when it baked the biggest rice cake ever and the town become known as the “Bibingka Capital of the Philippines”. Bibingka is believed to have been adapted from the Indian word bebinca also known as bibik, a dessert made of flour, coconut milk and egg. The Philippine version is made of rice flour, coconut milk and salted duck eggs. Butter and sugar are used for glazing after cooking and before serving.

1oa

HISTORY

Spanish Rule

Founded in  November 30, 1571,  Cainta was a fiercely independent village that fought  valiantly against the  Spaniards but was later defeated and became a visita ( annex ) of Taytay in 1571 under  the Jesuits.  Changes in ecclesiastical administration made Cainta  a part of   Pasig under  the Augustinians but it was deeded back to the Jesuits  by the  King of Spain in  1696.  Cainta became a separate township in 1760.

After the death of  Rajah Matanda, Adelentado  Miguel de Legaspi  received  word that two ships, San Juan and  Espirito Santo, has arrived in Panay Island in the  central Philippines from  Mexico. One ship was  under the command of  Don Diego de Legaspi. His nephew and the  other of Juan Chacon . The two ships were in such despair when they arrived in Panay that  one of them was not allowed to return to Mexico. Legaspi ordered that it be docked  on the river of Manila. The Maestro de Ocampo was sent to Panay to oversee its transfer to Manila , with Juan de la Torre as captain.

To help spread the faith, several Augustinian friars were commissioned by  Spain and were  among the ships  passengers. One of  them  was  Father  Alonso de  Alvarado, who had been in the armada of Villalobos. Another was Father Agustin de Albuquerque, who became the first parish priest of Taal town, south of Manila.  Some of the missionaries  were sent to Cebu  province in the central Philippines to accompany Father Martin de Rada the Prior. Four  stayed to work on Pampanga province and the environs north and south of Manila, which included the then-village of Cainta.

Conversion to Catholicism

The chief religion is Roman Catholicism. When the Spaniards came they celebrated the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle and a mass was held in a chapel made of nipa (coconut branches) and wood. Many people came to attend and consequently were baptize into the faith. The church of Cainta was completed in 1715. It gutted during Wold War II. Only  the outer walls and the façade remained which was repaired with a coat Portland cement. In 1727, an image depicting Our Lady of Ligth was brought  to Cainta from Sicily, Italy, and was among the structures destroyed by Japanese and American bombs.Except for the outer walls, now greatly renovated, hardly anything remains of the old church. Extensive damage was also caused by recurrent earthquakes and typhoons that plagued the Philippines. The natives helped in its restoration and the new building was completed in February 25, 1968 and blessed by Manila Cardinal Archbishop Rufino Jiao Santos.

The Battle of Cainta

Meanwhile Legaspi was determined to subjugate the people of Cainta and Taytay, a neighboring town. He sent his nephew Juan de Salcedo with a galleon (a small ship propelled by oars and sail) and 16 small boats accompanied by a hundred Spanish soldier and many Visaya’s native allied with them. Salcedo sailed on August 15, 1571, arriving in Cainta on the 20th. He sought peace from the villagers but the village chief, Gat-Maitan, responded arrogantly, told him the people of Cainta, unlike those of Manila, were not cowards, and would defend their village to the death. Confident in the defence offered by their fort and the security of the site, they were joined by people from Taytay.

These two villages are on a plain on the shores of a river that flows from La Laguna and before arriving there divides on to two large arms, boat with abundant water. On its banks are found the two villages, half a league from each other. With the river passing through both before finally becoming one in a part of the terrain encircled by thick bamboo groves. These bamboos were tied together with liana, turning them into a thick wall where the people had constructed two ramparts with their moats full of water. By the river, they had built strong bulwarks with wooden towers and good artillery, guarded by a large number of warriors armed with arrows, swords and other projectile-type arms.

Deciding to attack, Salcedo first sent Second Lieutenant Antonio de Carvajal with some escorts to reconnoiter the town and determine the weakest point where they could enter, Carvajal, wounded by an arrow in his arm, returned with the information that the weakest spot, the  least fortified and with the easiest access was the other part of an arroyo on the side of La Laguna where many boats could be seen entering the river

Salcedo ordered installed in the prow of the galley a stone-throwing mortar. He and his men then spent the night on shore, while 20 soldiers and numerous allies from Manila remained with Carvajal on the galley with orders that when they heard firing, they should proceed with the attack on the bulwarks and the houses in the town, while Salcedo in his men tried to enter through the wall by the arroyo..When they heard the sound of the bugle, the signal that they had taken the town, they were to stop firing. After giving these instruction, Salcedo began his march and turned toward the river where the river where the attack was to take place. He arrived in the arroyo and found it defended by a fistful of valiant Cainta men who started to fire arrows and hurl lances.

Taken by surprise, the soldier without waiting for Salcedo’s order attacked the rampart and were overwhelmed by a rain of arrows. Finding such tenacious resistance, they began to retreat  and flee in disarray. Salcedo berated his men harshly for having attacked without his orders. Observing that in the arroyo the rampart was lower, he ordered a skiff brought there and after beaching it, he ordered some of his soldiers to use it as passage to the side and take a more elevated point from where they could fire at the defenders of town.

With the defenders retreating, Salcedo and his men were able to approach the wall and breach it. The intrepid Gat-Maitan with his Cainta men came to close the breach, forcing Saavedra to back off. In the meantime, the cannons of the galley destroyed the bulwarks and the houses in the town in a manner the people had not seen before. And the shouts of the 600 Visayans allied with the Spanish made the native believe that the Spaniards were already inside the poblacion [town proper=””][/town].Because of this, the valiant defenders of the breach abandoned it and retreated to the center of the town.

Salcedo observed this from a distance and ordered the breach attacked again. This time, the Spaniards encountered little resistance. Led by Salcedo and with Saavedra carrying the Spanish banner, they succeed in entering the town. Together with their soldiers, they advanced rapidly and shortly scaled the wall where a bloody battle was fought.

The Cainta men, encouraged by their chief Gat-Maitan, preferred to die rather than surrender. Having taken over the walls, the Spaniards climbed the towers and hoisted the Spanish banner. At the blare of the bulge, the cannons stopped firing from the galley.

Cainta became an independent town in 1760. During the brief British occupation of Luzon (1762-1763 ), part of its British India troops known as Sepoys lived and intermarried with the natives in one of the town’s barrios. The Indian left a culinary legacy in the spicy and highly-seasoned dishes that are now part of mainstream Cainta cuisine. Cainta became part of Tondo ( starting 1763 ) but separated in 1883 and  incorporated with the district of Morong.

Post-Spanish era

In 1913.under the American rule, Cainta and Angono were considered with Taytay as one government entity. In January 1, 1914, it once again became an independent municipality and remained so to this day. Cainta is one of fourteen (14) municipalities of Rizal Province after the inclusion of other towns of what are now referred to as Antipolo, Angono, Binangonan and Taytay.